Scam Telephone Calls – Council Tax

We have received the following warning from the local police:-

We have recently received a report of a suspicious caller posing as being from both Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council, advising people that they are required to make an additional payment to their council tax.
The caller then went on to try to take the payment over the telephone.
Neither Leicester City Council nor any of the district councils who collect Council Tax would ring you to try to take a payment over the telephone.
If you do receive a call from someone in relation to Council Tax, ask them to give you the Council Tax reference number and the balance outstanding, and check this against your bill.
Never give bank details or personal information to anyone that you don’t feel is 100% genuine. Any reputable company will be happy for you to check they are who they say they are before you give out personal information.
If you receive a call of this nature please be cautious and double check that the person calling is who they say they are.
If you live in the county your council tax is dealt with by the relevant District or Borough Council, not Leicestershire County Council.
We recommend asking the caller for their name and contact details so that you can call them back in order to check that they are legitimate. Official callers should have no problem providing you with this information as they will understand that you are cautious about giving out personal information over the phone. If the caller is not genuine they are likely to become defensive or flustered when questioned for this information.
If the caller provides you with their contact details, please check the number against the number of the relevant council tax department for your area. We recommend calling the number on the council’s website/Council Tax bill and asking to speak to the person who has called you.
If you have a Council Tax query for the city council, call
0116 454 100.
If you believe you have been a victim of this type of call please report it to the police by calling 101